Salesforce is well known for its flexibility and the ability to tailor its features to the unique needs of each business. One such feature that can significantly enhance the Salesforce experience is Dynamic Related Lists. Before this feature came out, related lists could be displayed but with significant limitations.
What are Dynamic Related Lists?
Dynamic Related Lists in Salesforce allow you to display related records on a record’s detail page dynamically (surprise, surprise). Unlike standard related lists, which show comprehensive sets of related records, dynamic related lists adapt based on criteria set on the Lightning Record Page in the Lightning App Builder. This means that users can view the most relevant information about the most relevant records, reducing clutter and improving productivity.
Dynamic Related Lists can be used in various scenarios:
- Account and Contact Relationships: If you want to display only high-value contacts on an account page, you can set up a dynamic related list to show contacts with a specific “VIP” status or another custom field.
- Content Filtering: If some contacts are business contacts, and some are individuals, it is possible to break them into two related lists, one that displays a mobile phone, and the other that displays a work phone.
- Case Resolution: In customer support, you can display related cases that are open or have been escalated, ensuring that support agents focus on urgent matters.
How to Set Up Dynamic Related Lists
Setting up Dynamic Related Lists in Salesforce is relatively straightforward:
- Add the Dynamic Related List: Open a Lightning Record Page in the Lightning App Builder and add a Dynamic Related List from the left sidebar.
- Set the Object Information: Specify the Parent Record and Related List you want to display (e.g. Contacts, Cases, Opportunities). This works just like it would for a standard related list with the added option to customize the label shown on the list.
- Select the fields to display: Unlike standard related lists, the list columns can be custom tailored to match the most relevant information.
- Define Criteria: Continue by defining the criteria for which records to show in your dynamic list. This can be based on standard or custom fields, and you can use filters to narrow down the records you want to display.
The advantages of using Dynamic Related Lists in Salesforce are significant:
- Enhanced Productivity: Users can quickly access the most relevant information, reducing the time spent searching for records.
- Tailored User Experience: Dynamic related lists provide a tailored user experience, showing precisely what each user needs based on their role and responsibilities.
Salesforce Dynamic Related Lists offer a powerful way to streamline your workflows and enhance the user experience. By displaying related records based on predefined criteria, you can ensure that your users have access to the most relevant information, boosting productivity and data quality.